truepenny

Josip Novakovich
Don Quixote
Roberto González Echevarría, John Rutherford, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

The Night Circus

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern I had a difficult time rating this. I really liked the concept. But anything involving the 19th century, circuses and magic AND is well-written is likely to earn my praise. It did drag at times, a complaint I've heard from others, but in most cases the beautiful prose and evocative descriptions make up for a slightly lethargic plot line.My main complaint was that I didn't really understand why the whole "challenge" aspect would even be happening. I think perhaps my opinion of the book suffered a little given that I read it after The Hunger Games, and was getting frustrated with poor innocent children being forced into horrific challenges for the sadistic pleasure of emotionally void sociopaths.But, obviously my 4-star rating indicates that overall I really enjoyed this book and am willing to suspend my disbelief over the reasons for the challenge in order to get into the story itself. In fact, I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5 if I could. And I am thrilled that it has gained such popularity in an age when fast-paced plot is often valued over skilled writing.Read a more in-depth review here: http://carolyn-psutka.suite101.com/book-review-the-night-circus-by-erin-morgenstern-a397431